Crash Course in Perioral Dermatitis (PD)

A brief Google search shows plenty of articles about perioral dermatitis.

Here is a quick sampling:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/perioral-dermatitis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perioral_dermatitis
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001455.htm

Shrug Meme
Let me sum up for you what you will read in these articles.

Causes:
Use of topical steroids
Nasal sprays containing corticosteroids
Chewing gum (esp. cinnamon, peppermint)
Some medications
Hormone changes
Autoimmune diseases
Lip licking, chewing, sucking
Allergies to "certain dental products" (Fluoride, Balsam of Peru and cinnamic adelhyde)
Heavy skin creams containing paraffin & petrolatum
Cosmetic creams, makeups, and sunscreens 
Bacterial or fungal infections
"Constant drooling" (I would think perhaps this is a symptom of something larger in and of itself?) 
Oral contraceptives
Failing to wash the face

"Yeah, we have no clue. Godspeed."

The list of treatments is almost as bad:
Stop using all face creams, cosmetics, and sunscreen (yes but...then what?)
Wash your face with warm water only
Benzoyl peroxide
Immunosuppressive creams
Oral or topical antibiotics
Wash your pillowcases
Limit salty or spicy foods
Protect yourself from the sun/elements

The most helpful article I found was this one, though it still states that the causes are basically unknown and makes treatment look like a crapshoot, too. "Try switching brands if you decide to continue to use cosmetics." THANKS.

So if you suspect you may be suffering from PD, what should you do? My best advice to you is to cut everything out. Stop. Wait. Give your skin a couple days to breathe, and then start adding things in gradually - all-natural cleanser, moisturizer, makeup, etc. Steer clear of the ingredients listed in this post and my first post. Keep track of what you're doing and how your skin is reacting so you don't have to start from scratch! Stick to a very simple, all-natural skincare regimen until your symptoms go away (and talk to your dermatologist about medication to speed up that process, if necessary), and then decide on the next steps. I think I could have slowly started reintroducing one ingredient at a time to see if my skin reacted, but based on how terrible and long my first PD outbreak was, I have no interest in coaxing it back out again, so I'm happy sticking to my original plan. It's never a treat to have a medical condition that literally no one understands, but keep the faith! The day I STOPPED trying to treat my PD was the day that it finally calmed down - clear skin can be in your future, too!


Comments

Popular Posts