Natural Deodorant

While there technically weren't any irritants in the deodorant I was using pre-perioral dermatitis, I was figured while re-vamping my entire skincare and haircare routine I might as well cut out aluminum, too. While the jury is still out on exactly how harmful aluminum might be, why risk it, right?

Truthfully, I never put much thought into my deodorant back in the day, beyond that I knew I didn't like flowery-smelling things. For years I had been using this one, from Dove: 

Dove Advanced Care Cool Essentials

There are a million articles out there about the struggles associated with switching to natural deodorant, so I won't bore you with that. I will say that after trying a few things, the most important things to me are 1) stink factor, and 2) residue on my clothing. Natural deodorants don't help you sweat less (they're not antiperspirants), but some were definitely better than others.

Native Coconut & Vanilla
Target, $12
First Impressions: Nice smell, though I don't love having to rub it in and then wash it off my hands
Pros: Pleasant smell, held off my BO for most of the day.
Cons: I could get past the fact that it was a bit waxy and could have been better at odor control, but the deciding factor was that when I sweat (and BOY did I sweat) I would end up with white residue in the pits of my work clothes that wouldn't come out in the wash. Boy, bye!

 
Jason Purifying Tea Tree Deodorant Stick
Amazon, $6

First Impressions: One day I got all the way into the city for work before realizing I wasn't wearing deodorant, so I picked this up from the pharmacy on my way to the office. It was the first natural deodorant I could find on the shelves.
Pros: There when I need it.
Cons: I find this to be waxy and kind of gross. Also, it somehow simultaneously smells too fragrant AND doesn't block my BO. To be fair, it might be because I always put it on after I've been commuting for an hour, so I'm not giving it a chance.

Kiss My Face Cucumber Green Tea Active Life Deodorant
Discontinued, but I think around $5
First Impressions: MUCH better.
Pros: Goes on clear, no rubbing in necessary. Never left any marks or residue on my clothes. Worked like magic for a month or so.
Cons: After a few months I started to notice that I would get pretty stinky, especially throughout the work day. Additionally, my husband let me know when he went to the grocery store that the Kiss My Face section was empty. We googled it, and it looks like they've been acquired, thus all of their products have been "temporarily" discontinued. Time to try something new!


Lume Deodorant Original Stick
Lume, $13
First Impressions: This smells like both a candy cane and a pine tree. Sold.
Pros: I don't know that I would let this go for 72 hours, but it definitely keeps the stink at bay for a whole day, and I even wake up the next morning essentially smell-free. This morning, I got up and went to yoga class before applying and didn't smell anything, even in down dog.
Cons: I'm still figuring out exactly how much to apply. Not enough and I get stinky. Too much and it dries chalky and makes a mess on dark, sleeveless clothing. Not much of an issue yet (it was 18 degrees here today) but I'll want to figure this out before summer.

All opinions are purely mine - I receive no compensation or commission for reviewing these products.

Comments

Popular Posts