Shampoo

For my second product rundown, I'd like to focus on shampoo. As I discussed in this post, my PD means I'm sensitive to a lot of ingredients that thicken products and/or make a solid, clean-feeling lather. For this reason, it's really difficult to find a good shampoo.



My old shampoo was Sheer Blonde Highlight Activating shampoo by John Frieda. I loved that it was lightweight, smelled nice, made my hair feel clean, and lightened it up a little. What I didn't love was that it contained THREE of the four ingredients on my no-no list. Three! The two variants of SLS and cocamidopropyl betaine are the first 3 ingredients. You're dead to me, John Frieda. 

The first new thing I tried was an all-natural manuka honey shampoo from a company I had never heard of.


SheaMoisture® Community Commerce Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo
Target, $9
First Impressions: "This smells amazing! But...no lather."
Pros: This company does great things and made a lovely looking and smelling product.
Cons: It left my hair feeling like straw. I really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, so I went through the whole bottle, but I didn't enjoy it.




Andalou Naturals Argan Oil & Shea Moisture Rich Shampoo
Amazon, $8
First Impressions: "Jackpot."
Pros: For nearly a year, I thought I had won the PD lottery. This shampoo smells GREAT and left my hair feeling soft and clean. I would have loved this shampoo even before I had to start cutting out ingredients.
Cons: When I went to re-order this summer, I noticed the packaging had changed to the white & orange you see here, rather than the old green bottles. Scrolling through the Amazon reviews I noticed several people lamenting the fact that they had added cocamidopropyl betaine into the shampoo. Again, this ingredient is "natural" in that it comes from coconuts, but it alienates those of us avoiding skin irritants. I would divorce Andalou Naturals out of spite, but you'll notice many of their other products are now staples in my skincare routine. Sigh. Yet another reminder to all you PD sufferers to check the label EVERY TIME. 



Mineral Fusion Fortifying Shampoo
Whole Foods, $10 (though I'm sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere)
First Impressions: "Meh, I guess this is fine."
Pros: It worked for a while.
Cons: Recently, I've noticed my hair is oilier and feels kind of "dead." I was planning on switching to something new when I ran out of this tube. Then, as I was pulling the images for this blog post, I disovered that they, too, have added cocamidopropyl betaine to their formula, so it looks like I'll definitely be moving on.

The saga continues. What's your favorite all-natural shampoo? What would you recommend for a gal with heavy, stick-straight hair?



All opinions are purely mine - I receive no compensation or commission for reviewing these products.

Comments

Popular Posts