Toothpaste

Team, why is finding the right toothpaste SO HARD?!? 

When I was first dealing with perioral dermatitis, I cut fluoride out with all the other ingredients on my list. My mother yelled at me, but I was trying to avoid anything that might be exacerbating my unsightly red goatee. 

I went through a number of fluoride-free toothpastes. 


Jason Sea Fresh Toothpaste in Deep Sea Spearmint
Amazon, $5
First Impressions: This is toothpaste. Emphasis on the paste.
Pros: It probably cleaned my teeth okay. Also, you can buy it in a travel-friendly tiny tube.
Cons: It really didn't taste good. It was like brushing your teeth with a soft clay. I got used to it, but when the tube ran out I was psyched to try something else.



Jason Powersmile Cinnamon PowerMint
Amazon, $4
First Impressions: The cinnamon masks a little bit of the weirdness of this toothpaste!
Pros: I like cinnamon flavoring, and this one claimed to whiten teeth.
Cons: The cinnamon aftertaste of this one didn't exactly help me feel "fresh" later in the day. Also, if it actually whitened my teeth, I didn't notice the difference.


Davids Premium Natural Toothpaste
Amazon, $8
First Impressions: This is marginally better...
Pros: The packaging is cute and the texture is a little less gross than Jason. It was more frosting-like than clay-like.
Cons: I still didn't love the taste and I felt like my teeth were getting grossly yellow so I went looking for another whitening toothpaste...


Kiss My Face Whitening Toothpaste in Cool Mint
Whole Foods, $6
First Impressions: Weird brand name, great toothpaste.
Pros: This is the first fluoride-free toothpaste I tried that actually had a consistency like real toothpaste. It left my mouth feeling fresh and I didn't dread tooth-brushing time anymore.
Cons: I don't really think it did much "whitening." 


After a trip to the dentist that revealed the enamel was beginning to wear away in-between my back teeth, I was convinced to try re-introducing fluoride back into my oral care regimen after two years without it. 

I started researching and found a new and frustrating problem for PD sufferers--most toothpastes that include fluoride also contain SLS, parabens, and/or cocamidopropyl betaine. Most toothpastes that are free of irritants are also fluoride-free. Even the most trusted "natural" brands, like Tom's of Maine, all have SLS in them. 

After hours of online research and many failed trips to pharmacies and grocery stores, we had a winner:


Kiss My Face Enamel Xtra Toothpaste in Cool Mint
Whole Foods, $6
First Impressions: This seems WAY thicker than my previous Kiss My Face Toothpaste...
Pros: In theory, it's helping to build back up the enamel between my teeth so I don't ruin my perfect, cavity-free dental record.
Cons: It tastes a little more chemical-ridden than the other toothpaste I have from this brand. Maybe I'm just used to weird natural toothpaste now, but it will take a little getting used to.

Has anyone else out there found a fluoride toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS, parabens, cocamidopropyl betaine, or methylisothiazolinone? Is there another unicorn out there? Does it cost less than $20 on Amazon?


Bonus Recommendation:


Colgate Phos*Flur OrthoDefense Anticavity Fluoride Rinse
Amazon, $10
My dentist recommended I try a fluoride rinse to really boost the defense on my teeth. Again, I had to wade through a whole sea of bottles in the pharmacy before I found anything without SLS, and this was the ticket. It's meant to get into those hard-to-brush spots and make sure you're clearing out all of those cavity-causing bacteria. If you, like me, are looking to get some extra fluoride into your oral-care regimen, look no further. Beware, though: it doesn't have the harsh-but-comforting alcohol taste of mouthwash, which is what I was expecting. It's more bitter and not the most pleasant, but I'll tolerate it if it gets the job done.


Three days in, and I've seen no negative reaction to either of these fluoride-containing products. Stay tuned!

All opinions are purely mine - I receive no compensation or commission for reviewing these products.

Comments

Popular Posts